January 7, 2012

The Honda Civic Type R (FD2R)


Before I commence, I would like to comment that I grew up with Civics, as my Dad was a loyal supporter of Hondas from the very day I was born. So this encounter with an FD2R holds something extremely special for me.


The 15-minute joy ride in this 4 door JDM Civic Type R came as an impromptu surprise. Just a Whatsapp message and I’m standing within touching distance 20 minutes later, in front of one of the cars that has been bugging me for months, in a good way of course. Then I was handled the key to have a go in it for 3 minutes. Did it level up to my anticipation? Nothing beats a hands-on feel and I’m glad to share them with you.


Once settled into the OEM bucket seats, two items that you notice in front of you are a huge digital tachometer and a needle underneath it that has the ability to sweep clockwise right till the magical 9000 redline, around the Type R insignia. Plain, simple, straight to the point. That’s how I like it. It’s an occasion, a point in time where you wonder what’s in store for you with just a simple prod of the right pedal.
 
I revved it to 2500rpm, awakening the Toda Racing muffler in humble fashion. It didn’t sound enough to tickle the senses, until I mention that my foot was just twitching on the pedal. In stepped my left foot to depress the mightily heavy aftermarket clutch that produces a clicking sound with every downward action. It was extremely challenging to modulate, even with my attempt to feather the pedal with supreme grace. From then on, I know that this is the car that knows how to excite, build up to occasions and satisfy purists. It didn’t disappoint.


The 1 Series M Coupe, as mentioned in my previous post a couple of months back, thought me that the usage of a stick shift brings back the fundamental joy of driving. This Type R is beginning to relive that moment, and yes, it raises the bar with its pin sharp throttle response, all thanks to its venerable 2 liters of naturally aspirated bulletproof machinery, that churns out power in a blink of an eye. You could feel it respond to your senses with any clutch or accelerator movement, and this is what the Type R has always been about.


That’s before I touch on the chassis that talks and communicate with you, however cliché it may sound. It challenges you to push it through tight corners, and never hold back because you know that it can handle turns with gusto due to the all-important Limited Slip Differential. (Did I mention that the turning radius is huge for a FWD due to the LSD?) Don’t neglect the capable OEM suspension that act like anchors, pinning all fours down like huge immovable boulders not wanting to drift. It’s that grippy and stable, and hugely impressive for a FF configuration.

 
It sounds ridiculous comparing the 1 Series M Coupe with the FD2R, but that is how highly I rate the Type R. It might be severely down on outright performance, but soon enough you’ll realize that performance numbers has no association with driving sensation whatsoever, and the FD2R is a classic example. 220bhp vs 345bhp? No way can it be as fun, you might wonder. Try it, ditch the stereotypes, and enjoy JDM brilliance. Honda’s brilliance to be exact.


I would like to thank Leroy, the owner, for letting me have a go in his car. =)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see someone else appreciate JDM engineering for once.

    ReplyDelete