September 18, 2011

Opinion Editorial: 15 minutes in the MINI Cooper S

I scoured the Internet to get a lowdown on what I will be in for. It didn’t seem right to step into a MINI without knowing how this brand had evolved over time. We jolly well know that this icon of a car can stir some serious emotions and tickle even the weakest of senses. The amount of appeal it oozes can make any gender go weak on their knees. I’m sure you’ll be very familiar with this British go kart with a roof, which is why I’ll not dwell on quantitative information that can be Googled within seconds. Instead, let me pen my thoughts on my driving experience with the MINI Cooper S.

Settling into the cockpit was never as simple as it seems, and don’t get me wrong. In terms of driver practicality, it was never a problem. What I meant was that your mind will be working overtime to absorb all the minute details that goes on inside John Cooper’s car. Ranging from the nostalgic central speed display to the logo on the steering wheel that stares right at you, everything about this car prompts the driver to be emotionally attached to it, and its tough to wriggle your brainwashed mind out of it.

Now let me move on to the Cooper S’s drive, and this is where the magic starts to unfold. As I eased into traffic for the first time in this car, the only thought that went through my mind was the brilliant weighting of the leather clad steering. It was so well weighted and precise that I could almost navigate the turning radius with pinpoint accuracy, with any amount of traffic distraction thrown at me, at any speed. It would be a waste if you drive it with only one hand on the steering wheel, because I dare say that half the fun will be lost if we do not drive this special one like how a proper driver should, with the appropriate techniques. Anchor your thumbs in a proper 9-to-3 position and pay attention to how it steers. To be honest, not many cars come close in terms of steering feel (at least the ones that I’ve tested) as the MINI.

I’ve always overlooked the quality of the “Prince” engine ever since the day VW released their twincharged 1.4 powerplant. Both engines boast numerous awards in their trophy cabinet, but VW will definitely have the upper hand in terms of technological leap. Who in the world would have thought of squeezing two forced inductions in a puny 1.4-liter motor? I have to indicate that the “Prince” lacks the high-end poke during freeway overtakes and you’ll have to drop a few gears to really get it going convincingly, and this brings me to mention about the auto transmission. My friends have been telling me how a gearbox can numb the entire experience of a good car. Pass me a stick shift, and I wouldn’t complain. In all honesty, there is truth in the statement, but how MINI manages to conceal its flaw in the relatively slow shifts astounds me even further. It almost seems that MINI engineers foresee customers complaining about the boring and somewhat incompetent (with dual clutches entering the fray) autobox, and strived to engineer something else special enough to bring us back to the basic joy of driving. Yes, I’m talking about the MINI’s chassis. Tear the bodywork apart and we will be able to notice a rigid skeletal structure that has taken countless man-hours to perfect. How it manages to work in tandem with the gearbox and engine just amazes me. Not only was I in complete control of the car, the confidence to take it to the limits had reached an unfamiliar territory. Corner entry speed was a whole lot faster than many others that I’ve driven. This car deserves way more than just my praise.

The usual tossing and turning in bed didn’t feel entirely uncomfortable that night. Incoherent flashes of information kept popping up in my mind, which was still filled with “mini”ature spurts of adrenaline rush. How did MINI manage to construct such a wonderful piece of mobile art that so many petrolheads can relate to? How did MINI surpass the horrors of modern day regulations over the past 40 years to engineer such a distinctive machine? I applaud what MINI had contributed to the automobile industry. The automobile fraternity needs to give some serious credit to them for creating a car that shouts “Fun” at any moment in time. Thank you, MINI designers, for putting your heart and soul into a car that can be truly called an “engineering marvel”. Your efforts have not gone to waste. It had been, and will be, enjoyed by millions around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment